Saturday, January 28, 2012

PowerShell: Remote PSSession Files Filling Up Drive

Thanks to colleague's help, I was finally able to figure out why available disk size on one of my utility servers was shrinking so fast. Basically, remote PSSessions in PowerShell cause the system to download any required modules from the remote system. Since one of my scheduled scripts creates a remote PowerShell session to one of my unit's Lync servers, it was downloading 4 MB of Lync PowerShell files every time it runs (which is every 15 minutes). By the end of the day, the drive had lost another 400 MBs of space.

The PSSession files are created in a folder with a random name and have these three different file extensions.

.ps1xml

.psd1 (windows PowerShell Data)

.psm1 (windows PowerShell Module)

So I added to another maintenance script this PowerShell one liner to remove files and folders that are older than three hours in my admin account temp directory.

Get-ChildItem "C:\Users\adminaccount\AppData\Local\Temp" -recurse | Where {$_.CreationTime -lt (Get-Date).AddHours(-3) } | Remove-Item -Force –Recurse

No comments: